Saturday, September 29, 2018

Self-Awareness: The Heart and Soul of Successful Leadership

Know the shadow side of how you're naturally wired or it may hinder you in relationship-building.

On the MBTI I'm extremely introverted. That's good for deep thought, reflection, self-awareness, prayer,  journaling, communing with God. The shadow side of extreme introversion is I can be seen as aloof, snobbish,  shy, (I'm not shy.  I just live in my head a lot),mean, not confident, or even socially awkward or just plain weird.

How do I deal with my introversion shadow? I'm intentional about developing and maintaining meaningful relationships. Sometimes this means placing a tasker on my calendar to reach out to contacts. And I've even rehearsed small talk for settings where I didn't know anyone.  I stay abreast with  what's going on in the world so that I can engage in intellectual conversation even if I'm not passionate about the subject matter. (Introverts can talk forever to those in their inner circle and to anyone about their passion.) I pray and ask God to cause me to see others as He sees them and allow others to see me as He desires for me to be seen. I ask God to season my words with grace and allow me to represent God well.

Do you know the shadow side of your personality? How do you show up? How do people see you?

Read more about this topic:

1. Effective Leadership Starts with Self-Awareness
https://www.td.org/insights/effective-leadership-starts-with-self-awareness

2.  Great Leadership Starts With Self-Awareness
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellevate/2018/02/15/self-awareness-being-more-of-what-makes-you-great/

3.  Self-Awareness: The Essence of Effective Leadership | Human Resources
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/hr/self-awareness-essence-effective-leadership

No comments:

Post a Comment