Friday, June 9, 2017

Why I am NOT a Feminist

Feminism does not address the needs and concerns of women of color.  Racism, sexism, and classism need to be dealt with together.  Many white women do not know the plight of black women. Some do not know the plight of poor people. Black women are dealing with three levels of oppression- racism, sexism, and classism.  Often white women's struggle is unidimensional.  Most feminists are fighting not to be seen as a damsel in distress. Women of color were never given an opportunity to be seen as a weak and pampered woman who can't do anything by herself.  Black women were brought here on slave ships and expected to work like men and mules.

In modern times, feminism is primarily a white middle class movement and is therefore irrelevant to most black women.  White women have been afforded opportunities to be openly and blatantly militant and rebellious in their views while vehemently speaking out about their beliefs without fear of reprisal.  This has not been the case for women of color. Historically black women who speak truth to power are demonized, criminalized and exiled.

Often the causes of white women are about thriving in the marketplace.  They have been the greatest beneficiaries of affirmative action.  Too often the causes of black women are a matter of  life and death.  The feminist is only concerned with injustices related to gender identity.  The womanist is concerned with multiple jeopardies.  The womanist is concerned with justice over-all. 

In many cases feminism has divided black people.  Feminists are not concerned with the needs of men, children and families of color.  Unity, cohesion and solidarity among people of color is critical for us to survive and thrive. 

Because feminism does not address the needs of men, children and families of color many women of color feel torn between their loyalty to feminist thought and the people they love. White feminist are not torn in their loyalties.  They are clear with their loyalties.  Feminists will quickly abandon their radicalism and militancy on gender issues to "stand by their man" on race issues when their white privilege is challenged.  This is why many white women voted for Donald Trump. 

Feminists are often seen as man haters.  Too often they are disrespectful of men and not concerned with the well-being of children and families.  As a woman of God, I refuse to follow any worldly feminist influences to  diminish the significance  of bringing together, advancing and uplifting  the entire family unit and community.

And finally I am not a feminist because I am not "one of the guys."  Many feminists have opted to morph into androgynous  beings who have distanced themselves from anything soft or feminine.  I embrace my womanhood and female sexuality.  I am thinking and feeling.  I am round, soft to  the touch and possess immeasurable strength.  I am comfortable with expressing my emotions but not controlled by them.  I like dresses, skirts and pretty frilly things and not just the Hillary Clinton pant suit.  I like to wear sweet perfumes, makeup, and brightly colored nail polish.  I am playful, coy, and a master strategist.  I am spontaneous and filled with the wisdom of God.  I am yielding at times  and yet relentless in pursuit of my God-ordained destiny . I am not a feminist. I'm a WOMANIST.  I am a woman.  Phenomenally.  Phenomenal woman, that's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment